Monday, September 2, 2013

Some Brief Nonsense on Being and Becoming

The equation is simple:
(joey) + (notion) = (joey-and-notion-becoming-a-new-being/type-of-being). 
A + B = C.
Easy as pie.

So, my wife is pregnant.

Let's think about this for a moment before we move on.

(Think Here)


This means that I’m going to be a father.
This is very complicated.
Much like the concept of being itself is also very complicated.

Here’s what I mean:

(joey) + (going-to-be-a-father) = (New notion of joey-who-is-going-to-be-a-father)

I told you it was complicated. To use sort of Heideggerian lingo, the “entities” within each of the above parentheses are separate entities in and of themselves. I would say that each one is its own individual “being,” but this cannot be the case for the notion of going-to-be-a-father, such an entity hasn’t any actual being itself, (though many beings certainly have it!).

So, to simplify, just consider the parenthetical ingredients as what they truly are: variables.

Now, since the concepts of “joey” and “going-to-be-a-father” are two separate concepts, (concepts that I thought might be exclusive for much, much longer than it appears to be, well, happening) so it must follow that the result is also variable, though not a variable. You see, the result “joey-who-is-going-to-be-a-father” has to be a new being; a more responsible being, a more considerate being, a being who can forgive and forget, a being who can act as pillow or punching bag, a being who can offer comfort, support, and an occasional ass-whooping, a being who can negotiate, interrogate, and turn an occasional blind eye to a dumb choice or poor decision, arts of which I, this present joey, have mastered. This new being will have to consider a whole new universe of information, a universe that doesn't revolve around lil' ol' me. And this is where it gets complicated: Me is all I know.

New “entities” in their infancy tend toward and are prone to severe existential contemplation.

* * * * * * * * *



It will be interesting to reflect on these few words when my son or daughter is old, or old-er, or old enough, or whatever the hell. I can see myself now, pining to be the “me” I was however long ago, remembering how good it was or how different it was. Yet I can also see this new aged version of myself mocking the me of yesteryear for being so green, so damned naïve, (which sounds like something older me would say). I can pine and pine and pine, but the notion of joey-who-is-going-to-be-a-father will be old hat by then, for the joey-who-is-a-father will be an entity in and of himself.

3 comments:

  1. What further, like, BLOWS MY MIND is that she or he, that is, my offspring, will be looking to me for guidance. Oh poor child, pray that you inherit your mother's sensibilities

    ReplyDelete
  2. For, your father is perhaps too free of spirit; he is carried away by the ocean waves and by the honey-maple breezes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relax. Your 'fatherly instinct' will take over. But, then again, what do I know? I am not a father.

    ReplyDelete